Best SQL Editor for Snowflake
1. Snowflake Web UI
The Only official GUI Client is the Snowflake Web Interface. It's elegant, minimalistic, powerful and fully functional and better yet you don't have to install anything, It just runs on your browser.
The only downside being, In the Snowflake browser window, the column names are always hiding and we have to always drag to check each column names
2. Snowflake CLI
Snowflake also offers SnowSQL CLI. Though it is powerful, Its a command line tool and not really a SQL editor, So let's just ignore that for now.
The good news is Snowflake supports standard ODBC / JDBC Connections. Which means you can just use your favorite SQL Client to connect to Snowflake. (You should not expect to see snowflake specific features though)
There are many SQL editors that can be used with Snowflake. Here are just some:
- DBeaver has very good integration with snowflake and is really useful for things like:
- Generated SQL statements - particularly MERGE statements which take forever to create manually
- Type-ahead completion in SQL and Joins
- Schema Diffs (though a bit slow) - after cloning production to staging and renaming our "old staging" we like to see if we missed any objects that were on staging but not migrated.
- Connects to our other data sources with the same client such as RDP MySQL, Postgres etc.
- Has color coding to help differentiate PROD connections from STAGING - has saved me on tired-eye occasions
- Mousing over tables or columns will show the comments in the database
4. SQL Workbench
A free SQL query tool various DBMS (PostgreSQL, Oracle, DB2, HyberSQL, and others). You could use SQL Workbench to query Snowflake.
Most people have seemed to be happy with Snowflake on DBeaver. What is your favorite client? tell us in the comments
Read great educational content like this and a lot more !
Members get free exclusive access to content, new courses, and discounts. Signup for a free account to write a post / comment / upvote posts. Creating an account takes less than 5 seconds and you can start earning badges & points too