Creating a new dataset in BigQuery
Dataset (aka Database) consists of tables and views in BigQuery. You can create datasets by:
- Using the GCP Console or the classic BigQuery web UI
- Using the bq mk CLI command
NOTE: Dataset names are case-sensitive 😀
1. Creating dataset from the Web UI:
- Login to the BigQuery web UI in the GCP Console.
- In the navigation pane, in the Resources section, select your project.
- On the right side of the window, in the details pane, click Create dataset.
- On the Create dataset page, For Dataset ID, enter your dataset name.
- For Data location, choose a geographic location for the dataset
- For Default table expiration, choose one of the following options: Never. And Click Create dataset.
2. Creating dataset from the Command Line:
Alternately you can create a dataset from the bq command line utility.
bq --location=US mk -d --description "This is my dataset" mydataset
Read great educational content like this and a lot more !
Members get free exclusive access to content, new courses, and discounts. Signup for a free account to write a post / comment / upvote posts. Creating an account takes less than 5 seconds and you can start earning badges & points too